Dear North Jersey Section Members,
I would like to welcome new members, and thank all continuing members for your ongoing involvement with our section. Because of your dedication and enthusiasm, we are heading into 2014 with a great deal of positive momentum.
Our section?s new vision statement is “The North Jersey community of chemistry professionals will improve people?s lives.” For 88 years, our section has built a legacy of providing value to its members and giving back to our local communities. NJ-ACS provides opportunities to stay involved and advance in our profession, networks of members that share similar interests, and services to chemists and the community at large.
Visit www.njacs.org to learn about section resources and upcoming events.
The NJ Section has an exciting program planned for 2014:
- Our nationally recognized Careers in Transition group will continue to help those in transition and others seeking to enhance their careers.
- Our award-winning outreach activities like the Project SEED program and the National Chemistry Week event at Liberty Science Center will be expanded as we collaborate with Turtleback Zoo for a new Earth Day event.
- Leading edge speakers bring the latest developments and work saving ideas to the section?s cialtad.com vibrant topical group meetings.
- Our next ACS Leadership Development session provides training for professional development with communication skills.
- NJ-ACS will present the Award for Creativity in Molecular Design and Synthesis.
- The section is planning a celebration to commemorate the Thomas Edison Laboratory as a National Historic Chemical Landmark. I am excited to be a part of our new strategic planning committee, which is dedicated to identifying section interests and addressing members? evolving needs.
As Chair, I will focus on the following strategic priorities and initiatives:
- Broaden our value to meet a wider range of interests among scientists and attract new members with a focus on increasing younger membership.
- Become a key resource for career information and guidance to help members with their professional growth.
- Increase North Jersey Section member participation and community involvement to help promote the sciences.
- Enhance NJ-ACS visibility by promoting the public recognition and appreciation of chemists and chemistry.
Thank you for the opportunity, honor, and privilege of serving the section as the 2014 Chair. I look forward to seeing you at upcoming NJACS events. Your ideas are welcome, feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monica Sekharan, Ph.D.
2014 Chair, North Jersey Section ACS