- News & Views
- Topical Groups
- ChemExpo / National Chemistry Week
- Earth Day / Earth Week
- Undergraduate Travel Grants
- Education Committee
- Teacher Affiliates
- Student Affiliates
- Undergraduate Research Conference
- NJ Chemistry Olympics
- Int’l Chemistry Olympiad
- Project SEED
- Quick Links, etc
Dear Local Section Members:
We have a wonderful opportunity to partner with Students 2 Science, Inc (S2S). It is a NJ 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation that inspires, motivates, and educates Middle School Students to pursue careers in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM subjects).
S2S operates a Technology Center that is a state-of-the-art working laboratory created exclusively for the purpose of educating middle-school students. Working technical professionals, like many of you, from local corporations volunteer to work side by side with these young students as they perform hands-on, age appropriate experiments that emphasize the subjects taught in their classroom. Students enjoy a “real life” technical work experience and benefit from a mentoring relationship.
The type of work S2S is doing is extremely beneficial to the students and teachers.
To The Students:
- Stimulation and excitement from using “cool” expensive laboratory instrumentation
- Rare opportunity to work side by side with a successful technical professional
- Ability to participate and understand our technical work environment
To The Teachers:
- Clear and measured improvement of their students test scores in STEM subjects
- Measurable increase in enthusiasm for these subjects
- A better understanding of the technical workplace
I encourage you to take a look at the excellent PowerPoint presentation,
Executive Director of Students 2 Science, Inc. is Donald Truss. Don can be reached by telephone at (908)334-8435, and by email at DonaldTruss@Students2Science.org. The S2S Technology Center is located at 66 DeForest Avenue in East Hanover, NJ 07936. The website is www.students2science.org
S2S is a non-profit organization and as you can imagine, it does need financial support in the form of donation. I will send a second email later, which I will request you to forward to your company’s philanthropic director (various titles are used for this position including Director of Corporate Philanthropy, Director of Community Affairs, Director of Corporate Giving, and more. Some investigation may be required on your part to identify which group within your company does the charitable work).
2010 NJACS Chair